This is just an overview of the main categories related to Oblivion, the fourth game in the Elder Scrolls series.
Intro to Oblivion and Mods
Introducing modified Oblivion...
- System Requirements System requirements for Oblivion and recommended specs for modified Oblivion
- Installed Folders An introduction to the directories created during Oblivion's installation
- Intro to Mods An introduction to Oblivion mods
- Intro to Mod Conflicts An introduction to the different types of mod conflicts
- Mod Management A quick introduction to the common methods and tools used to manage mods
- Acronyms Common acronyms related to Oblivion and their meanings
- Hardware Analysis Information about Oblivion with respect to consumer hardware (if you're thinking about upgrading...)
- Plugins An introduction to plugins: types, dependencies, etc.
- Uninstalling Oblivion A guide to help successfully and cleanly uninstall Oblivion
- Installing Oblivion A guide to help successfully install Oblivion (Strongly recommended for users of Window 7 and Windows Vista)
- Reverting to Vanilla Oblivion A guide for reverting the modified game to the out-of-the box state
- Complete Installation Guide A complete guide to setting up modified Oblivion
Programs and Utilities
Programs and utilities to use with Modified Oblivion
- Programs and Utilities List of commonly used programs and utilities with links to locations at which they can be downloaded
- BOSS Userlist Manager a.k.a BUM, BOMM's successor, a companion to BOSS for keeping track of personal edits to the BOSS masterlist
- Better Oblivion Sorting Software a.k.a BOSS, "the" load ordering utility
- The Elder Scrolls Construction Set The official TES plugin-designing tool
- LAA Patch the Large Address-Aware patch, a patch for allowing Oblivion to use more than 1.8GB of RAM
- Oblivion Mod Manager a.k.a OBMM, the most widely used mod management tool
- Oblivion Script Extender a.k.a OBSE, a modder's resource extending Oblivion's scripting functionality
- Python File Format Interface a utility for optimizing meshes, usually referred to as PyFFI
- TES4Edit a tool for editing, comparing and browsing plugin records
- TES4Gecko a tool for doing various sorts of plugin edits
- Wrye Bash the most versatile utility available for managing both mods and saved game profiles
- Importing and Exporting a Character Face A character modification guide (*requires TES4Edit*)
- Adding Ren's Hairs to the Drow Races An example of adding custom hairs to a custom race (*requires TES4Edit*)
- Creating an Override Patch for an Existing NPC Face An example of creating a patch to override a vanilla record via a Bashed Patfch import (*requires TES4Edit and Wrye Bash*)
- BAIN Tutorials This a collection of screenshot-aided tutorials about how to setup and use BAIN.
- Preparing for Mods This guides steps through the setup of this site's most recommended mod management utilities
Where and how to download mods
- Mod Package Contents A look at the structure of downloaded packages and installed mods.
- Types of Mods An overview of the different types of mods available for download and how their contents and changes compare.
- Where and How to Find Mods Introduction to well-known mod information and mod upload sites.
- Online ReadMes Links to ReadMes for various mods
- Official and Unofficial Oblivion Patches A listing
- Choosing from Multiple Downloads Tips for choosing the best option of multiple downloads for a mod given your installation preferences.
- Searching TESNexus A guide to taking advantage of the search options available at TESNexus.
The ins and outs of adding mods to an Oblivion setup
- Mod Installation Introduction to the process of installing mods
- Mod Settings Configuration A common step required after installing a mod's files to the Data folder
- Common Installation Errors Common errors made during the installation of various popular mods
- BSAs and Archive Invalidation Special installation concerns with regards to BSA files
- BAIN Installation How to install mods with Bash's automated mod installer
- Manual Installation How to install mods manually
- OMOD Installation How to install mods via OBMM
- BCF and OMOD Info Downloads BAIN Conversion Files and OMOD Info for various mods mentioned around the site
- OMOD Scripts and Script Templates Scripts for various mods and script templates to help users create their own OMOD scripts
- A General Order for Installing Mods A guide to expedite the process of figuring out when to install what, with lots of mods
- A Graphics Overhauling Guide A guide to help with beautifying the game
- Example BAIN-Friendly Repackages Example conversions of various mods
- FCOM Installation Guide A comprehensive installation guide for FCOM.
- MMM+OOO Installation Guide A comprehensive installation guide for the compound overhaul MMM+OOO.
- OOO Installation Guide A comprehensive installation guide for Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.
- Configuring Streamline Detailed configuration instructions for the Streamline.
- After Changing a Modified Setup Steps to take prior to launching Oblivion after modifying a modified setup.
- Load Order Introduces plugin load order and the additional plugin states afforded by Wrye Bash's features.
- Bashed Patch A guide to the configuration categories of Bash's magic patch
- How to Post Your Load Order With and without utilities
- Wrye Bash's Plugin Status Indicators A quick reference for the Bash File view's color-coded indicators
Tips for running Oblivion (with mods installed)
- Running Oblivion Launching the game and in-game considerations
- A List of Playing Aides These are helpful mods and resources to use during gameplay
- Console Commands What are console commands? What are some useful examples?
- Before Running Checklist This small list of pre-run steps can help boost performance and stability significantly
- First Run Guide A recommended set of steps to take before running a new modified setup the first time
- Updating Saves How to update and repair saves when after changing a modified setup
Troubleshooting facts, tips and resources
- Troubleshooting Facts users should know, newbie recommendations, intro to troubleshooting guide
- Technical Support Library a.k.a the "PCS Library", a collection of crashes, problems and solutions
- Problem Indicators A "more concise" version of the PCS Library
- A List of Troubleshooting Aides A list of mods and utilities to aid in troubleshooting during gameplay
Stabilization and Optimization
How to stabilize and optimize Oblivion (with and without mods)
- Oblivion.ini Oblivion's configuration file
- Stabilization and Optimization Tips and resources
- Stabilization and Optimization Mods These mods fix Vanilla bugs, help with memory management, etc.
- Popular Outdated Mods Do NOT use these!! Upgrade to a new version (or variant) or use an alternative.
- How to Regenerate the Oblivion.ini Steps and considerations for regenerating the game's configuration file
- BSA Repacking Steps, tools and considerations for repacking BSA files
- Basic Plugin Cleaning Quick steps to clean a plugin
- Plugin Merging A guide to help reduce your plugin count
- Merging Ren's Beauty Pack and Robert's Male Body A plugin merging example (*requires TES4Edit*)